Sunday, July 22, 2007

OLS: Week 4

This week was a great week for eating locally - I am getting better at planning and at finding local foods. Plus, my CSA chare started 2 weeks ago - I am hitting more than 5 a day for veggies!

So, I decided to make Sausage and Greens Soup. A couple of ingredients are not local, but everything else comes from within 10 miles of my home.

Sausage - Cornerstone Farm ~10 miles
Garlic Scapes - Firefly Farm ~5 miles
Swiss Chard - Firefly Farm ~5 miles
Scallions - Firefly Farm ~5 miles
Potatoes - 150 miles (County)
Evaporated milk - unknown

The recipe is quite good, but if I decide to make it again, I will use a less spicy sausage! And, Swiss Chard is starting to grow on me - well, not literally, but each time I eat it, raw or cooked, I like it more.

And, I already have my local meal for next week planned - Minestrone Soup using veggies from my share and beans from Exeter.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Stephani~
my favorite way to eat swiss chard is steamed with a dressing of balsamic vinegar, sesame oil, garlic and ginger. Or thrown in any soup!
Billi