Monday, July 16, 2007

Community Supported Agriculture

This is my first year having a CSA share. Using the Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association's website, I found a local farm which offered prepackaged shares. My share is from Firefly Farm, owned and operated by Billi, in St. Albans. This farm is about 7 minutes from my house!

Last Monday, I picked up my first weekly share and spent a lovely hour chatting with Billi about local farmer's markets, food, blogs and numerous other things. She lives is a little farmhouse and, besides growing vegetables for the likes of me, bakes bread for her stand. As part of my share, I asked that a loaf of bread be included each week.

Last week, I received beets & greens, Swiss Chard, 3 pounds of peas (2 types), a huge bunch of scallions, cilantro and garlic scapes and 2 loaves of bread: rye and olive. I ate very well last week - you can check my previous post to see what I did with part of my share. Other parts I ate and then I froze some to enjoy later.

After spending time chatting with Billi, I realized how important it is for everyone to know where their food comes from. To be able to connect in some small way with their food chain - rather than just going into the supermarket and buying what looks good. Farming is hard work and going to pick up my vegetables there makes me realize, each and every week, what an important job farmers have in our lives.

Besides all that, though, it just tastes better.

1 comment:

Liz said...

You seriously lucked out in the farmer realm... Billi is awesome with a capital A. She sells at our farmers market and is so much fun to talk to.

If you ever get a chance to include one of her chocolate cakes in your share... go for it! :)