Friday, July 27, 2007

A "No Foster Dog" Vacation

It is a slow time in sheltie rescue right now - well, in Maine, at least, so the pack is really enjoying their time without a foster dog. Bear and Maggie pair off and wrestle - with Bear often grabbing onto Maggie's collar and tugging.

Meanwhile, Ella and Robbie race around playing tug. Since they are the same size, they tend to run together with a rope in their mouths, side by side, like a pair of matched ponies. I should teach them to pull a cart!

Some people think that the hardest part of fostering would be adopting the dogs out. It really isn't, since all of my fosters have gone to even better homes. The hardest part is the stress that the household is under for the first few weeks as the dogs get to know each other and the cats accept the newcomer. And, it is stressful on the human, since it is the human's responsibility to make sure that each and every interaction between the animals is as positive as possible.

Typically, I keep my foster in my car until "the four monsters" settle down a little from my arrival. Then, I bring out the foster dog on a leash (60 feet long so the foster doesn't realize they are on a leash - to prevent possible leash aggression). Depending on how the dog reacts while in the car, I might start with a greeting between just Ella and the new dog. Then, I will slowly bring out the others - usually in this order: Robbie, Maggie, Bear. Buddy (Foster 4) met everyone at once.

After a few minutes, I either leave the foster dog outside alone and get the other dogs settled inside or I bring everyone inside. It all depends on the dog-dog interaction.

Depending upon what time of day it is, I either settle down to watch a movie and watch the dogs interact or I get meals ready. Ella, Bear and Maggie are all crated when they eat. Ella because she steals food, has weight issues and needs thyroid medication. Bear because he isn't as housetrained as I would like and it keeps him in one spot. Maggie because she gets so excited that she knocks me down and lets others steal her food. Eventually, everyone will have a crate of their own, plus one for the foster dog. Don't ask me where I will put them all, though!

After eating, everyone goes outside to do business and play (and bark). I usually play ball with Bear & Robbie or water the garden while the dogs are playing. Then we all tromp inside and I get to eat. This is where the foster really feels welcome and learns the household rules. If everyone is quiet and peaceful while I eat, then everyone gets a nice piece of whatever I am eating. Yep, I feed the dogs at the table - but only when I am finished eating and they have behaved.

Here are a few pointers, should you ever decide to foster:
  1. Know your own dogs well. Know their triggers: likes and dislikes. Some dogs are just not going to be good with foster dogs coming in and out of your household. Mine are all young and are used to this, so adapt well.
  2. Some fosters are not going to do well with your dogs. You have to be prepared for this and be prepared to use treats to help them overcome their shyness.
  3. Be prepared, for at least a few days, to get nothing accomplished. You should be observing the new dog and making sure that he/she is fitting in well.
  4. Be prepared to separate the dogs when necessary. All fosters wear a harness with a thin drag line when they first come home. This enables me to catch them if they are scared, acts like a leash when they need to be housetrained and keeps me from having to grab them. Have baby gates handy to block off rooms. Have crates set up for needed time-outs.
  5. Keep your normal routine in place and the foster dog will fall in line quickly. This will also help prevent stress on your own animals.
  6. If your dogs have even the slightest tendency to resource guard from other dogs, make sure that all toys, chewies and things that might be valuable (to your guarder) are picked up before the new dog arrives.
  7. Crate your foster when you are not there for at least 2 weeks. It takes time for differences between dogs to come to the surface and you do not want a disagreement to take place while you are not there. So, prevent it.
  8. Be prepared for the inevitable frustrations of having yet another dog who is not used to stairs, cats, dogs, doors. One who counter surfs, isn't housetrained, doesn't know any cues and is scared of everything. In time, these will seem so minor!
  9. Give yourself and your animals a break now and then between fosters.
  10. Relax and treat the foster like one of your own.

So, until the next dog, we are relaxing and enjoying our routine. We are practicing our obedience cues and working on getting good on the grooming table and when nails are clipped. And, I am very thankful that I have these dogs to help me foster, since they are the ones that teach the newbies so much.

No comments: