Sunday, July 15, 2007

OLS: Week 3

My CSA share started this week - I'll post more about that later - which made this week (and future weeks) so much easier to plan for! So, once I got home from picking up my share, I shelled my peas and blanched my swiss chard and beet greens for freezing.

Then I made Spring Pea Soup, which was good, but a little bland. Next time, I will reduce the amount of water called for in the recipe and add more spices.

Here are the ingredients and the miles they traveled:
Peas ~ 5 miles (CSA Share)
Garlic Scapes ~ (CSA Share)
Scallions ~ (CSA Share)
Potatoes ~ 150 miles (County potatoes)
Herbs ~ 0 miles

I also had some very yummy greek olive bread, which came with my CSA share. All in all, I am very glad that I decided it was time for me to know where my food is coming from and have a farmer "with a face."

No comments: