Saturday, July 7, 2007

OLS Week 2: Asparagus Quiche

Week 2 of the One Local Summer Challenge found me very prepared at the beginning of the week and, yet, I somehow managed to have almost no local ingredients ready for when I prepared my "official" meal (that would be because I ate it all - too much at a time, but fresh veggies are so yummy). Panicking, I decided to clean out my freezer and package up the 4 quarts of strawberries I had cleaned and frozen on Independence Day.

Lo and behold, I had, crammed way in the bottom, a small bit of asparagus that I had frozen and forgotten. Since I already had local eggs and milk, I decided to make Asparagus Quiche - with no crust. I would really have had to cheat on the crust, since I haven't found any local flour yet, so I made it crustless and just used butter to grease the pie plate. That is why there looks like a crust - the yummy butter darkened. The recipe is from my favorite cookbook, Simply in Season. I haven't found a recipe in there that I do not like! So, here are the ingredients and how far they traveled:

asparagus ~5 miles (last yrs farmer's market)
eggs ~ 5 miles
milk ~ 5 miles
bacon ~ 10 miles
cheese ~ OK, I cheated and used whatever was in the fridge. I doubt it came from Maine.
butter ~ 70 miles (I had some Kate's butter that I used, but when that is gone, I will be using butter made closer)


And, I found a great local source for the best sausage I have ever had. It is Cornerstone Farm in Palmyra - they attend the Augusta Mill Park Farmer's Market, the Waterville Farmer's Market and the Orono Farmer's Market. If you get a chance to try their pork products, you will not be disappointed! We grilled up their Hot Italian Sausage on Wedneday - oh, yum!


*The shelties LOVE asparagus - as I steamed my portion, I also steamed the woody ends for them. They ate them right up. And, I don't think they like me talking about them on this blog - they are all staring at my reflection in the window behind me and barking at it (shelties - in some way, they are so smart. In others, sigh).

No comments: