Friday, June 15, 2007

Robbie


And, the smallest and youngest (but, somehow, mightiest) of the pack - Robbie Rooster!

I managed to adopt Robbie within the same 2 weeks as Bear. Not great planning on my part, since any new animal causes stress to the existing animals and my other dogs (and cats) were not yet used to Bear. But, this little guy was so special, I couldn't pass him up (and, as my friend Holly says - you can't have just one sheltie!! or two! or three!).

Robbie was hit by a car and found in a ditch. The people who rescued him paid a substantial amount of money in order to save his back leg. [They then allowed me to adopt him for a very insubstantial amount]. He will always have a limp, though, since this little guy lost the ball portion of his left hip. The limp doesn't stop him, though, and he zoom zooms through every day.

Luckily for Robbie, he came to live with us - he expresses his emotions through a constant (and varying) range of yips and barks. And, while this barking drives everyone else nuts, I able able to ignore it. As he ages and by ignoring him when he barks and rewarding him when he doesn't, we have actually reduced his barking to alarm barking and play barking. Quite an accomplishment for this little guy.

No comments: