Monday, June 18, 2007

Quiet Time 1

By the end of the day, I am pooped and ready to relax. Everyone has been fed and exercised. Sometimes, I have done all the chores on my list. And, I like to relax by reading or watching a movie.

Now, those of you with shelties know that this can be difficult sometimes - like when a car horn is honked on screen! For the next few minutes, you either have to pause the movie or hope that no important dialogue was said. Sometimes, if you are just reading or meditating, the sudden barking can be quite startling.

So, I keep a whole bunch of food stuffed toys in my freezer for just such an occasion. With 4 dogs of my own and a foster, I have to be creative in order to keep their attention on the toy. Here are the ones I use:

I also have a supply of doggie wishbones, bully sticks, sun dried pressed rawhide and deer antlers for them to chew on. But, when I want some really quiet time, they get frozen stuffed toys.

Here is one of their favorite recipes: Mix yogurt and kibble. Stuff into Kong and top with a biscuit. Place in freezer for at least 1 hour. Enjoy (they enjoy the toy: you enjoy the quiet).

Maggie is my fastest eater and chewer. This recipe lasts about 15-20 minutes for her. Since she is the quietest of the dogs, that isn't a problem. For Robbie and Ella, the slowest eaters and chewers, this lasts much longer - about 30 minutes.

Ah! 30 minutes of peace and quiet!

No comments: