Friday, March 28, 2008

Fencing

I live in a rural town on a dirt road and have 6 acres of land. For the past two years, I have installed, by hand, a metal mesh fence for the dogs. And, for the past two years, the snow has drifted in such a way that the dogs are eventually able to push against the fence and scale the darn thing like a ladder.

Well, I am tired of worrying about where the dogs can go and what they might get into if I don't watch them like a hawk every second that they are outside. I don't want them to go to my bad neighbor's house. I don't want them to go to my nice neighbor's house. I don't want them to follow turkey tracks. Or wander into the road, even though I am set back two acres. I don't want to have to worry about all of this.

So, I am going to have to get a real fence. But, what kind should I get? How should I decide what type?

Features I want in a fence:
  • Security Type A (Keep dogs in) - I want the fence tall enough and strong enough so that the dogs can not jump or climb it.
  • Security Type B (Keep others out) - I want the fence to keep out as much wildlife as possible. I want it to keep out the bad neighbor's annoying dog. I want it to keep out the bad neighbor.
  • Appearance - I want the fence to allow me to see my backyard and enjoy the wildlife that might be outside of the fence. In other words, I want to be able to see through it. I want people driving by to be able to see how much I care about my dogs - by installing a fence.

I have decided on a chain link fence. With gates that allow me to get my lawn mower in, but that can be padlocked to prevent any unwanted persons from getting in. While not the most expensive option, it isn't the cheapest, either. And, I will not be able to afford to fence in my entire property. But, when weighing these minor disadvantages with the advantages of having a real fence, I am more than willing to pay the price of the fence!

I could get an electronic fence. You know, the one with the collar that shocks the dog for getting too close to the invisible fencing. But, this won't keep wildlife away from my dogs. It won't keep that little dog next door away from my dogs. It won't keep people away from my dogs. And, if my dogs really start chasing something, it won't keep them on my property, either.

And, an invisble fence collar delivers physical punishment in the form of a shock. That means it causes pain to prevent a dog from doing something. I don't like physical punishment. Especially when I can solve the problem without resorting to causing pain to my dogs. Because a real fence in a much more visual and kind alternative. I can see if there is a problem with a real fence. I don't have to remember to change batteries or have collars on or worry about lightning or other storms damaging or disrupting the fence.

Pat Miller has written an excellent article about the disadvantages of an invisible fence. Ms. Miller is a well respected positive reinforcement dog trainer with years of experience. There is another great one here. I, myself, have seen some of the problems caused by these fences.

I spend a lot of money on food, vet care, grooming, training, collars, and toys for my dogs. Why would I choose a product that could easily fail? I love my dogs enough to get them the real thing.


No comments: