Monday, March 3, 2008

Bark bark barkety bark

Grace was so excited about dinnertime last night that she started barking! She had her head stuck out of her crate and then pulled back into it, twirled and barked. It was a happy bark. An excited bark.

It also made Robbie start barking. I don't think the others had heard her bark before. I know that I haven't.

Shatzi was debarked on Thursday. After a few months of agonizing over this, asking other sheltie rescues what they would do and having quite a few potential adopters turn her down because of her barking, we decided to make the appointment and have her vocal cords nipped. Now, she sounds like a dog that has been smoking for 30 years - hoarse. And, much quieter.

When she barked for the first time with her new voice, it freaked Robbie out and he started barking at her. But, then again, lots of stuff makes Robbie bark.

She still barks, make no mistake. But, when she goes outside, I can't hear her inside and when I am outside with her, I know that the neighbors can't hear her, either. Their dogs might still be able to hear her, but that part doesn't concern me.

Inside, she seems to be barking less. Maybe it is because her barking no longer echoes around the room. She will bark once or twice and then stop, which is a new thing for her.

Now, we just have to work on the issue she has with cars - and, find her a forever home.

1 comment:

Krista said...

Such a tough decision to de-bark. My Chloe was de-barked by the breeder, yet we don't find her to bark much. My Woody DOES bark a lot and loud, but now that he's settled in here, he barks a lot less than he used to. We taught him "shhhh" which somewhat works. LOL

Glad to hear Grace is getting braver and more confident. Chloe was a kennel dog too, and it took a long time to coax her out of her crate. She even ate all her meals in it!

Keep us posted! You can catch me on Ravelry as clodog21, and I'm originally from Maine as well!

Krista