Friday, August 31, 2007

Give

Robbie is a dog that loves to play fetch and tug, often at the same time. In fact, I never had to teach Robbie (or Bear) to bring a toy back. They realized on their own that if they brought the toy back, then I would throw it again. And, they would have a fun game to play. Bear brings the toy back and drops it near me.

Robbie, on the other hand, wants to play tug before he really lets go of the toy. He will often drop the ball and then try to grab it before I can pick it up. Sometimes, he grabs fingers instead of toys, which doesn't break the skin, but does hurt. So, Robbie and I have been working on “Give.”


First, though, I want to explain why I use the term“give” instead of “drop it.” Say, out loud, the term“drop it” as though you are talking to your dog. Do you find that your voice automatically lowers a bit and you become a little more stern or serious?

I grew up giving dogs commands. I did not ask them to do something: I told them to do something. Now, I prefer to think of my relationship with my pets as a partnership. I give them things they need and they, in return, worship the ground I walk on (just kidding). Seriously, though, I want my partnership with my pets to be loving and caring.

Now say the word “give.” It doesn’t have the same tone, does it? It is more difficult to make that word stern, at least for me. You could also use the word“trade.”


So, in order for Robbie and me to work on “give,” we need a few tools:



  • A toy. If Robbie resource guards toys from me, I would choose a low value toy for this, like a rope toy, since he doesn’t really like those. Since Robbie doesn’t guard, I am going to use a fleece tug at first and work up to a ball.

  • High value treats. Wellness Pure Rewards Jerky is great for this. So are tiny pieces of dehydrated hot dog. I have prepared for training by making all my treats about the size of a pea (use scissors). And, as a side note, biscuits do not make good training treats. They are bland and most dogs don’t go crazy enough for them. Instead, use what I call “puppy crack.” This is any treat that a dog will do anything for: Duck Breast, Jerky, Chicken, hot dogs, cheese, etc.

  • A treat bag is also helpful, since many high value treats are greasy. The bag keeps your pockets clean. I prefer the Gentle Leader French Hinge Bag.

So, Robbie and I go to a quiet place and I give him a few treats to get him warmed up. Then I offer him the tug. He starts pulling and I show him the treat and click when he drops the toy to take it. We repeat this many times over many sessions. Each session might only be a few minutes. We always end our session with a really good tug and then a “jackpot” of treats. When he lets go the final time, I give him 15-20 treats right in a row.


The next step is to have him place the toy in my open hand. It might take awhile and my clicker will come in handy for this. As soon as Robbie brings me the toy and nudges my hand with it, I’ll click and then give him a treat. We’ll do this for a few sessions.


Then I’ll expect him to nudge the toy in my open palm. Click then treat. He WILL figure this out on his own, trust me. I’ll just wait patiently until he figures it out, with my hand open so he can get the hint. Then he’ll have to drop the toy in my palm. Click and treat each time.


Once he consistently drops the toy in my open palm, I will show him my open palm, say“give,” and when he does, click and treat. I might have to help him here by shaping this a little. He might just drop the toy for a second at first. Then 2 seconds, then three until he lets go of it and lets it be for as long as I want. The clicker is really helpful for this, since timing is everything.


Once Robbie is successfully giving me a toy in my open palm when I say “give,” I will start randomly giving him treats – maybe every three times or every fourth. This will help the behavior be resistant to extinction (he will remember it for a very long time and do it without treats). Eventually, I won’t need to clicker at all and only once in a while will I need treats. And, for Robbie, the playing of tug or fetch is reinforcing in and of itself, so treats might not even be needed.


By working with Robbie in this way, I will have accomplished a number of things:



  • Robbie has learned how to politely play with toys and to give them up when asked.

  • Robbie has learned to think for himself while we were training – he has to figure out what I want.

  • Robbie has become more confident, since his problem solving skills are improving.

  • Our relationship is stronger, since we worked as a team towards a common goal.

  • I have a better trained dog and I haven’t had to use punishment to do so!

Right now, Robbie and I are still on the first step. But, I know where I want us to go in the future, so am able to measure our progress and will rejoice when we reach the final goal.

1 comment:

ankur said...

Great blog. I really liked it. I have also created a lens in same niche. This is my first time, hope u guys like it. Here’s a brief intro: Most Dog owners are conscious of feeding their Dog healthy pet foods. However when it comes to treats, sometimes they forget about the healthy aspects. Treat your Dog with Healthy Dog Treats as well. Most Dog Treat don't have all natural ingredients and are not 100% healthy for your pets. There are some dog treats such as Bully Sticks that are 100% all natural. And since they contain no chemicals or preservatives, your dog is assured of receiving a "clean" and healthy pet treat. Besides being totally safe for your dog, they are also fully digestible and a great source of protein. http://www.squidoo.com/dog-treats/